Thursday, June 23, 2011

Alice: the Madness Returns

Alice is back and I for one have missed her. I actually had gotten a hold of a copy of the original American McGee's Alice about a year ago, and it just wasn't the same for me as it was back in 2001, when I played it all the time. I spent literally about 200 hours on that game when I was younger. It is still a classic game and will always have a place in my collection, but I just couldn't get in to it like I could before.

Well there is a solution! Alice: The Madness Returns was just released on the 11th of June, and I finally got my hands on a copy. The first thing I noticed when going headfirst into this game was the graphics (of course) and oh man are they awesome. When you look back at the first Alice game, American McGee's Alice, released in 2000, the gameplay and the overall look and feel of the game hasn't changed that much, but the textures and lighting are so much smoother.

The story line starts out somewhat like the movie Dreamchild. Alice lives in an orphanage in london, under the care of a psychiatrist by the name of Doctor Angus Bumby, where she is still traumatized with memories of her parents' deaths. Alice ends up heading up to the streets and a cat to an alley,and is confronted by monstrous Jabberwok creatures. She meets up with a nurse from the asylum, and While at the nurse's place, Alice has a vision of her appearing in Wonderland, and the Cheshire Cat appeared and tells Alice a new law reigns on Wonderland.

Overall this game is great. The gameplay is fun, the graphics are cool and the story is interesting. I would give this game 4 out of 5 stars. American McGee and Spicy Horse have done a wonderful job in designing and developing this game. I have been playing it now for about 3 days and can't get enough.

Alice: the Madness Returns has been released for Microsoft Windows computers, Playstation 3 and Xbox 360, on June 14th, 2011 in North America. The Playstation 3 and Xbox 360 copies come with a one time download of the original American McGee's Alice, the prequel to Alice: the Madness Returns, released in 2000.

The Madness returns is absolutely a correct statement when describing this game, and if you've played it, you know what I mean. The game features new weapons, costumes and characters, as well as many of the same elements from the first game, including Alice's vorpal blade and the gatling gun like pepper grinder. If you haven't played these great games, I would suggest you run out and grab a copy, you won't be disappointed.


No comments:

Post a Comment